Contabilizei - First usability testUX
Contabilizei is tax filing and accounting service as software for small busines in Brazil. The software is complex and new users had to contact support very often to solve basic doubts. We realized the need for the usability test to understand how and why those doubts arised.
With the first test we also wanted to start implementing user centered design in the development of features. This first test served as an experiment of the methodology.
We wanted to undarstand the first use, so we invited five users that had payed for the sorftware but had not accessed the platform yet.
- 1. The initial interview was used to understand the expectation of the users;
- 2. Inicial exploration allowed the users to observe the plataform by verbalizing how the product could work in the participant’s opinion;
- 3. Participant used the product following the tasks proposed;
- 4. Satisfaction questionaire to compare with participant’s inicial expectation.
In each task, for each user we measured the effectiveness (completeness to achieve goal) and efficiency (time to do the task and number of attempts). Based on that we came up with this chart.
All the tasks could be completed in the dashboard or by one click from the dashboard. With the chart we were able to realize that the participants were unable to consult two of the main accounting obligations: taxes and invoices.
During the tasks we observed that the participants, in the first use, did not understood the two columns that were supposed to represent the current and previous month.
- 1. To start, we decided to focus only on the usability issues with the higher severity: considering the frequency, impact and persistence of each. One of the columns was replaced by the calendar, that could give more information about the tax obligations during the month (an idea that appeared in the initial interview);
- 2. The usability test enabled more dialogue about the importance of including design in the development process;
- 3. The test generated curiosity in the IT and support area, that wanted to understand more about user experience and the design tools. The “Design guild” was created and about 30 people participated in the monthly debates and talks;
- 4. The test also helped in the “campaign” to hire more designers. Two other designers were hired in a period of one month. :)